frost

frost

January 23, 2013

Sewing on my Old Treadle Sewing Machine

Sewing on a Treadle Machine 
   Another cold January day;
a perfect time to do some sewing
on my old Singer Sewing Machine.  
This old treadle sewing machine
really takes me back. 
I learned to sew on one just like this.
 I never have any trouble with it,
stitches & tension are always good. 
  Today I made Flour, Sugar, Coffee, Cornmeal, & Tea Sacks. 
   I wanted to use material bigger than a sheet of paper, so, I couldn't print directly onto the material.  I ironed the material, & cut laminating plastic, peeled off the back & adhered to the back side of material, making sure it was flattened down good.  I layed a  sheet of paper on top of material & cut around it with sissors.  My printer is set to print face down, so I placed the material down with the laminating plastic side up.  I printed at least three labels on each piece of material.  It printed great.  I sprayed the labels with Scotchgard Fabric Protector, pealed off the plastic & let material dry.  Then I layed material, print down on my ironing board & ironed on Thermo Web Heat Bond to the back, after it cooled, I pealed off the paper & cut out my labels, then ironed them onto my sacks.  They turnd out pretty good.  Hope you find something you love to do on this cold January day. 
Blessings, Trisha 

4 comments:

  1. I grew up with a wonderful neighbor lady who sewed for the whole community on an old treadle machine...she did it until the late 1980's. She had beautiful work. My Mom-in-law also sews at age 86. She says an old treadle still sews better than any of the new..What a blessing. I never learned to sew well. I can do a little but not much. What a happy warm day you have had..Thanks for the memories. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun project for a cold winter day. Love these little towels, they are really the big thing right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They did, they turned out wonderful!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, my Grandmother's was a treadle and my Aunt made my wedding dress on it.

    ReplyDelete