frost

frost

February 09, 2011

The Beautiful Red Headed Woodpecker

Red Headed Woodpecker Outside my Window
   Outside our kitchen window today, this Red Headed Woodpecker is 'King of the Roost.'  
We've had a flurry of activity around all the bird feeders today, but this woodpecker has one feeder, all to himself.  He is repeatedly flying to the feeder, getting a sunflower seed and flying back to the fence post to peck it open.  All the others birds are keeping clear of him.  He didn't even mind me taking his picture.  
   The birds have been feeding heavy these last couple of days so I threw some seed on the ground when I filled the feeders, so more of them could eat before the snow comes.  View from our kitchen window,  one of God's many Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. I have always heard the Ole Timers say that when they are heavy at the feeders it is a good sign of bad weather. Everytime I see a woodpecker reminds me of my dear sweet mother. She called them "redheaded peckerwoods". She has since gone on to be with our Lord. Miss her! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete