frost

frost

January 12, 2011

Kentucky Girls making do with What they had.


Kentucky Hair Rollers


   This morning, I thought about what we used to roll our hair with in the 50's and 60's.  We took Prince Albert tobacco cans , took the ends off, pryed them opened at the seams, flattened them out, cut them into 1 inch strips, and rolled each strip in poke paper.  We rolled our hair while it was still wet, wrapping it around the strips and bending the ends over, to hold it in place.  What we ended up with was some really bouncy curls. 
   Sometimes we just used Bobby Pins and made pin curls.  But, we never fretted because we didn't have real hair rollers, we just made do with what God had provided.

2 comments:

  1. You have an awesome blog! I have really enjoyed my time here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember my sister using cans with both ends cut clean to roll her hair to get big curls. I so enjoy all your memories...reminds me of my homelife. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete