frost

frost

December 23, 2010

My Friend Bertie Mae Grew Up in Leslie County


Bertie Mae

    This is my friend Bertie Mae, she grew up in Leslie County, KY.  Everyone called her grandmother and grandfather:  Mammie and Big Daddy.  Well Mammie and Big Daddy had a big family and most of them lived with them in their big farm house, including Bertie Mae, her family, and other aunts and uncles and their families.
    Bertie Mae told me about one time when she was just a child that they all went to church one Sunday and when they came home they found Mammie out in the front yard rocking in her rocking chair, and the house was on fire. As Mammie sat there and rocked, she said, "Well Children, the house is burning down." After that Mammie and Big Daddy bought a farm in a nearby county.  The only family that made the move with them was Bertie Mae and her family.  I loved to hear the stories about Mammie and Big Daddy.  I hope you enjoyed it too.  Many Blessings. 

1 comment:

  1. Reading your post so reminds me of my upbringing. Thanks for the memories. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete